The Academy, along with the educational process, provides social support for students, guided by the Law on Education, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Law on Marriage and Family, as well as other regulations and documents.
The purpose of the social work of the Academy is to ensure the development of personality and protect the rights of children, create a safe social environment for them, and provide social support to students.
The basis of social work is the creation of optimal pedagogical conditions for the development of the Academy students, in particular, orphans, children left without parental care as well as children from large families and families which need the support of State.
Directions of social assistance of students:
– compliance with the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan regarding the provision of social assistance to students;
– study of the basic social needs and problems of students;
– work with socially unprotected categories of students;
– organization of provision and control of receiving social benefits and payments to students;
– coordination of activity of structural divisions of the Academy to ensure measures of social support for students;
– social and psychological support;
– provision of financial and other assistance to students of the Academy;
– provision of free primary health care;
– support of students during the process of adaptation at the labor market;
– stimulation of student’s extracurricular activity;
– providing students with the opportunity to visit theaters, exhibitions, for the purpose of spiritual development.
At the beginning of the academic year, the department of educational work and social issues conducts a sociological survey covering the entire contingent of students.
The purpose of this survey is to collect data on the social status of students and their families. The analysis of the data makes it possible to form a Social Passport of the Academy, which contains the necessary information about pupils belonging to socially vulnerable categories of the population and need the social support. All social support to the students of the Academy is provided on the basis of information about the social and financial situation of their families.
In 2017-2018 academic year the Academy provided the following social assistance:
– 2 children who are orphans under guardianship were fully provided with clothing, uniforms, hot meals and the right to free travel in city public transport
– 19 children were provided with hot meals;
– taking into account the particularities of professional training of students of 1-3 courses of the specialty “Ballet Artust” and with the aim of their assistance, additionally from December, 2017 30 students of college of professional education of the Academy were provided with hot meal from the resources of the Academy;
– on the initiative of “Astana Zhastary” governmental youth organization 20 students were provided with reduced fare in city public transport until the end of the academic year;
– the graduate of the 2017-2018 academic year, who remained without parental care, was fully provided with social material assistance.
In 2019-2019 academic year pupils of the Academy received social support in the following volume:
– 32 students of 1-3 courses of the College of Professional Education of the Academy were fully provided with 3-time hot meals at the expense of the Academy’s own funds;
– 1 student of a college-school of vocational education (an orphan under guardianship) was provided with free food, clothing, uniforms and the right to free travel in city public transport
– 11 pupils and 4 students of a school-college belonging to socially vulnerable categories were provided with preferential hot meals at the expense of the republican budget and the Academy’s own funds;
– 4 undergraduate students and 8 students of the college of vocational education at the initiative of the “Astana Zhastary” youth organization were provided with the right of preferential travel in city public transport.
In order to organize leisure and extracurricular activities for students, the Academy has a sports and gymnasium, a swimming pool, creative circles, a home economics office, and a language student club “English for Jastar”. Pupils of the Academy regularly visit museums, exhibitions, theatre premieres, film premieres, and circus performances.
In addition, the Academy monitors the social well-being of students by organizing anonymous questionnaires and surveys, which makes it possible to observe the degree of their satisfaction with social support measures.
In 2019-2020 academic year in purpose of information the students about the social support measures the individual consultations were held for pupils and parents whose families belong to socially vulnerable categories of the population.
Based on the results of work in the 2019-2020 academic year, the students of the Academy received the following social support:
– 3 students from the category of orphans under guardianship are provided with free meals, clothing, uniforms and the right to travel free of charge in public transport;
– 16 pupils and 3 students of a school-college who belong to socially vulnerable categories are provided with free or preferential hot meals at the expense of the republican budget and the Academy’s own funds;
– 25 students of 1-3 courses of the school-college of the Academy are provided with preferential 3-time hot meals (with payment of 80% of the cost of meals at the expense of the Academy’s own funds);
– 2 undergraduate students and 10 students of college are provided with the right of preferential travel in public transport by the initiative of “Astana Zhastary” youth organisation.
There are different activities aimed to organise leisure and extracurricular life of students of the Academy such as origami, embroidery, beading, as well as library with an extensive book fund. In the residential building of the Academy “Altyn Uya” students can learn cooking, serving rules and etiquette. Pupils of the Academy regularly visit museums, exhibitions, theatres, film premieres, and circus performances.
There is a swimming pool, gym and sports hall in the Academy to maintain the additional physical training of students.
In 2019-2020 academic year, which was declared as the Year of the Volunteer, 4 charity events were held with the participation of pupils and the staff of the Academy: a concert for the Day of the Elderly and the action “Do good” at Social Service Center “Sharapat”, a charity festival “Melodies of Magic” which was organised by the humanitarian foundation “Degdar”, the charity Grand Ball named “One world – One lıfe”.